Sunday, November 26, 2006

Jenny lights her cigarette, wonders how she got in this mess


I like this band

I hope everybody's thanksgiving breaks were good. Mine was nice and low-key and was capped off with a Mizzou football win over Kansas, a beautiful thing.

The most recent Lucero record "Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers" is well worth your time. This is one of the most consistent bands around. They put out great southern rock-esque albums every two years or so that I like more and more I listen to them. "Tennessee" is still my favorite Lucero album but this one is creeping up on it. The record is full of young love, doubt and sad times. Listening to it I just picture a band gathering at a garage in some small midwestern town, sharing beers and too many cigarettes while they have a helluva time pounding out these great songs.

I'm still on the fence on the new Shins record "Wincing the Night Away." The two times I've listened to it all the way through I can sense there's a great album in there somewhere, it's just going to take some time for me to find it.

I'm reading Brennan Manning's book Ruthless Trust and it's heavy man. The dude is so smart and has me beating myself up and totally loving my spiritual life at the same time. A great read indeed.

I am also trying to get back on track knocking out some novels. I brought back Mark Helprin's, Memoirs from an Antproof Case and am expecting good things after reading Winter's Tale and Refiner's Fire in high school.

If you're a Mizzou friend, let's get together before the semester's over. Hangout or study, I wanna see you, for reals.

rock n roll,

Luke

No comments: