Thursday, December 13, 2007

I could be wealthy. With nothing to stop me.




New Hot Chip hit the internets this week. I was glad to get this after I feel like I've been listening to nothing but hip hop for the past couple of weeks, save for Mountain Goats- Tallahassee on my way to Carbondale last weekend. I wish my fictional gf would fictionally dump me so I could listen to that record for a month straight.
Hot Chip- Made in the Dark. I wasn't even looking for this record to pop up because it doesn't come out until February I'm pretty sure. I was a big fan of their last one and had pretty serious expectations for new work from the band.
Made in the Dark is a bunch of fun. Shake A Fist was one of the first tracks to leak and is one of the highlights.
After the first couple of listens I think the second half of the album is stronger than the first. The first half seems to follow the blueprint for Over and Over from the last record, whereas the second half has more of the ballad-esque work that they do really well.
It will take a little more time with this release for me to make a concrete decision about how well it stacks up to the rest of their catalog.

No comments: